Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Day I Stood With Barack Obama At The MILLION MAN MARCH

Millions of African men including Barack Obama and myself heeded the call from Minister Louis Farrakhan to gather at Washington, DC

On October 16, 1995 millions of African men heeded the call from the leader and the Supreme Minister of the Nation of Islam to gather in the white man’s capital city of Washington, DC.

I attended the event along with several of my students, colleagues and friends. It was one of the most important days in African history, a moment in time when we united as one to take a stand against the white man at the very place where he plotted against us. It was the largest gathering of human beings at one location on Earth. It was also the day when I first met Barack Obama.

We gathered on that fateful day to be strong African men who would defend our families, history and culture. The spirit of that day was like nothing I had ever experienced, or have experienced since. I marched down to the National Mall with fellow Africans of all ages. When I reached the stage area on the steps of the Capitol and looked out into a sea of African men, many who stood for at least 10 hours, I held back tears. I knew this day would forever cause a change, if not in the world, certainly in me.

A colleague of mine, Mosi Kenyatta introduced me to Obama. Kenyatta told me that Obama was a teacher such as me who taught Obama taught law at the University of Chicago and that he also had plans to enter politics. I told Obama that I was pleased to hear this as the African people needed leaders who could help protect us from the white power structure. I briefly inquired of him as to what he knew of African history and great African leaders. I reminded him that he was the son of Kings and Queens and the no white man could ever hold him in judgment.

Obama promised me he would do what he could should he win election. He expressed hope that we could meet again. We wished each other "amahoro" and parted ways.

This was the day that Obama took his major first step towards the American Presidency. The inspiration of Farrakhan was undeniable and like the millions of other African men that day, Obama found his calling and discovered the path he must take. Today I join him on that path so that we can bring forth the vision of hope that Farrakhan showed us that day.


7 comments:

tim bob said...

Oh. my. word. That is a hilarious picture!

Did you photoshop that together yourself? Or did you find it somewhere?

Truth_First said...

It is a representation of the truth.

tim bob said...

Thanks for sharing this article, Red. It is a nice return to the subtlety of your former humor.

To get the humor, we have to go back a few posts to find your claim that you're one of Obama's campaign advisors. At the time I didn't understand the joke you were setting up, but now that I see the joke come to fruition, I had to laugh out loud.

Anyone who was a campaign advisor to Obama would absolutely be aware of Obama's public statements about Farrakhan, and would therefore know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Obama would be HORRIFIED by you linking his name with Farrakhan.

So, this article is your way of saying: "Ha ha! I was just kidding when I suggested I even had a clue what was going on in the Obama campaign!"

Nicely done. Making us wait 14 days for the payoff makes the joke all that much funnier.

The tragic thing is that, if your blog gains any popularity, this might actually damage Obama's chances at winning, and it seems cruel for you to try to damage his campaign for the sake of a joke.

But it's still funny. :)

Old Iron said...

Game, set match.

Good return to form Red!

I love the fact that the entire "meeting" that you had with Barack was presented in fever-dream format. It was a little too real though; you might have wanted to throw in some kind of fantastical element to the equation as well, like seeing white people in clan outfits flying around in space ships or something.

Stil,. a well-crafted piece (the photoshop was priceless) and, as Tim Bob pointed out, as subtle as has been expected from your better pieces. I also like the fact that you are carrying forward the student angle as well. All I ask is that if you use any of my angles that you site me in the credits.

walt235 said...

The million ape perabulation. It wasn't near a million, most of the niggers were in prison!

Red Roo said...

You got that one right, walt, and the groids not in prison were sleeping off the previous night's crack session, or, in typical goid style, were just too damn bone idle lazy to move their worthless carcasses out of their crib..

Anonymous said...

Your math is wonderful, like your take on history.